COVINGTON, Ga. -- About 10 employees of a Covington cell phone business were treated after one of them opened a package containing white powder.
Covington Police Capt. Craig Treadwell said workers at PureTalk, which refurbishes cell phones, reported burning eyes and skin irritation after their colleague opened a box of batteries that contained a note stating an intent to harm someone.
Authorities said the batteries had been fused together, and the white power was released when the employee pulled them apart at about 2:30 a.m. That worker later complained of hand numbness.
A decontamination unit was set up at Newton Medical Center to treat the employees.
Police notified the FBI and Department of Homeland Security of the incident.