Covington woman captures towering $500K lottery prize | Shopping & Services
ATLANTA – A half-million dollar Georgia Lottery prize has arrived for a Covington woman just in time for the holidays. Wanda Pitts, 49, played the instant game Right On The Money and won a $500,000 top prize.
Georgia Lottery representatives presented Pitts with an oversized check Wednesday at the QuikTrip at 11124 Highway 142 in Covington, the store where she purchased the lucky ticket.
“My niece and I were on our way home from shopping, and my niece said, ‘I feel very lucky. Let’s buy a lottery ticket,’” Pitts explained. “I stopped and purchased a ticket. When I saw the matching No. 14, I lost my mind.”
Pitts was overwhelmed with emotion when the store’s clerk confirmed the good news.
“I was crying. I was about to hyperventilate,” she said. “I was screaming and squealing, jumping up and down. I was excited.”
The lucky winner intends to financially help those in her family.
“I’m going to buy a new car and pay off my mortgage,” Pitts shared.
Upcoming Events near Covington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Rockdale County career fair brings together jobseekers and employers
- Rockdale County wins Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
- College and Career Readiness: Rockdale County
- Volunteers encouraged to sign up for 2014 Great American Cleanup
- Donation drive to benefit Rockdale County Animal Shelter